Skip to content

My Not-So-Triumphant Return

August 29, 2012

So…I live in Pittsburgh now. That’s new.

I was going to return to the blog when I finished my Ravellenic Games cardigan (if you hadn’t heard, I decided to go with Crane Creek), but that hasn’t happened yet. It’s nearly done, and it’s been nearly done for a while, and I’m not sure when I’ll get around to finishing it. So that’s a story for another day.

I won’t say that the move went smoothly, because I don’t think that’s entirely true. It could, however, have been a whole lot worse. A week before we moved out, we quit all of our jobs (except mine at the LYS–I held onto that until the bitter end!) and threw ourselves a going away party to say goodbye to all of the amazing friends that we’ve made in Duluth over the past 7-8 years or so. Our plan was to spend that last week packing up all of our stuff so it was ready to go, but it turned out that we didn’t leave nearly enough time.

The weekend that we moved was pretty crazy. We were already sick of moving, it was the beginning of the Olympics and the Ravellenic Games, and we had an entire crew of family and friends coming in to help us. As the first day of packing things into the trailer went on, we learned that our stuff was just too heavy for the trailer to handle, so we had to rent a Uhaul on day 2 to get everything down to the Twin Cities safely.

Once we got there, we dumped the cats off at Grandma Camp/Spa to stay with my Grandmother and Aunt for the week, and we then unloaded all of our worldly possessions into my parents’ garage so that we could purge, re-assess, and re-pack. This was supposed to be our glorious week off, but way too much of it was spent making unpleasant decisions in that very, very warm garage. Luckily, Sweetie is a champ and a packing machine, so we got it all done and still managed to have a little fun while we were in town. We had another going away party with our Twin Cities family and friends and then packed up the cats, my family, and all of our stuff to make the long drive East.

I’m not entirely sure how it’s possible to be exhausted while riding in a car for hours on end, but I can assure you that it is. It may have something to do with an hour long kitty panic attack on our first day of driving, but I’m not sure. Suffice it to say that we were thrilled to arrive in Pittsburgh despite being incredibly surprised by the terrain that we found here. Did you know that Pittsburgh is made of crazy-narrow streets on crazy-steep hills? We sure didn’t.

We then spent a few days moving me into my new, huuuge apartment. I’m still unpacking some last boxes, but here’s the view from the deck at the top of the building tonight: 


Then we headed to State College to move Sweetie into his place, say a tearful goodbye to my family, and familiarize ourselves with the beautiful Penn State campus.

Last week I finally got to get started on my campus. I sat through loads of orientation sessions and was rewarded with swag:


Classes started this week. It feels like it’s taken ages to get here, and it really has. I started applying to PhD programs nearly two years ago, was accepted to this one over half a year ago, and moved out of my place last month. It’s been a long road, and there’s a long road ahead, but I’m glad to be on it. There are big opportunities ahead.

P.S. I’ve been knitting:


If you didn’t know, my last name is Read. My mom made me this pillow “in case you ever forget who you are or what you should be doing.” Thanks, Mom.

Pattern: Turkish Bed Socks from Churchmouse Yarns and Teas
Yarn: less than 1 sk Regia Flusi Das Socken Monster #01805
Needles: US 1 bamboo dpns
Made for: class demo/me
Timeline: June ? – August 21, 2012
Modifications: I like to save sewing up the seams for last
Worst Part: it’s not wool sock weather here. Not even if those wool socks are little anklets.
Best Part: I can see these getting a lot of use, and they’re just the kind of easy knitting that I need right now.

4 Comments leave one →
  1. August 30, 2012 3:24 am

    I hear ya. Moving sucks. Always takes longer than expected, doesn’t go as planed…just, ugh. Congrats on surviving it, and best of luck for the start of grad school!

  2. August 30, 2012 9:44 am

    Dare I ask how many boxes were yarn? 😉 Yay for new things- good luck, you’ll be amazing!!
    (PS- I hate that I missed both going-away parties- I wish we would have danced at least one more time before you left!)

  3. August 31, 2012 3:58 pm

    Welcome back! I just finished moving today – from University to my parents home. It’s not nearly the distance that you’ve travelled, but tiring all the same. I think it’s all the decisions that need to be made about what to keep and not, etc. Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your knitting posts (and other topics) this Fall. Good luck with the start of the PhD 🙂


  1. Me-Made-May ’14 Week 4 Update | Red Knits

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s