Skip to content

Weekend Fails

June 14, 2013

I don't want you to get the wrong idea and think that Sweetie and I spent his birthday weekend (the big 2-9!) doing nothing but having a perfect time eating, exploring, and taking photos of my finished projects. Not true: we had quite a few fails this weekend.

Fail #1: Shirt Muslin

If you've been around this blog for a while, you might remember that I've been meaning to make Sweetie a shirt to replace one that he loved but wore out. Since this weekend was his birthday, but he doesn't like me to make a big deal about it, I decided to make a muslin of V8759 so we could get going on his shirt.

Unfortunately, this pattern is just too far from what will work for his body type. The photos above do not do justice to the horrible fit. He can barely close it in front, the armscye is cut so high it limits circulation, it's crazy tight across the shoulder blades, and the sleeves are too short. Add to that some really disappointing pattern instructions–very thorough in some places, utterly incomprehensible in others–and I think I'm going to go with a different pattern.

It looks like a lot of people have had success with Colette's Negroni. I like the pleats over each shoulder blade, and I would alter it to be a more traditional men's shirt design. If you have any TNT patterns for someone with broad shoulders, a thin waist, and a long torso, I'd love to hear about them! If I had the talent to draft my own, I'd go that route, but I'm just not brave enough for that yet.

Near Fail #2: Wonky Ballwinder

Ever since I moved across the country, my ballwinder has produced flying saucer shaped cakes of yarn. See that rhomboid light pink ball on the left? Not good. It not only looks funny, but it leads to really nasty tangles when knitting from the center pull.

I asked my former LYSO how she fixed the same problem on our shop ballwinder, and she sent me to this YouTube video from Nancy's Knit Knacks. The calibration is still off, but I think the new cakes of yarn are useable. We may have to mess with this some more the next time Sweetie visits.

Fail #3: Swayback Adjustment

I mentioned in the post about my Renfrew top that I wanted to remove some of the excess fabric from the small of my back using a swayback adjustment before making another Renfrew. Since Sweetie is better at this kind of thinking than I am, we both read up on the alteration and worked together to give it a try. No matter what we did, we couldn't get the alteration to work without shortening the side seam. That doesn't make sense, as we're trying to eliminate a wedge of fabric from the middle while keeping the side seam length a match with the front piece. Since my next Renfrew certainly isn't an urgent project, we tabled this one for another day.

I don't want to end on a completely negative note, so I'll take this time to say hello to some new readers! Thanks for stopping by my blog–it's been great to hear from you in the comments!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s