And Now for Some Red Pants
I see them everywhere. First, it was around town, in fashion magazines, and on Pinterest. Then, it was on the sewing blogs of Sunni, Lauren, and Shanni. At some point, I was bound to make a pair of red pants.
So this week I cut out a pair of Simplicity's Amazing Fit pants. And they actually are red, not that weird rusty caramel in the image. I'm pretty nervous about this project. I haven't made a pair of pants in a very long time, and it's so easy to end up with a poor fit or a homemade (rather than handmade) look. You can be sure that I'll inch along on these at a particularly slow pace in the hopes of getting them right.
After a day of sewing and Gray's Anatomy, things are looking pretty good so far. I've prepared the front and back pieces, so the next step is tackling the fly front–I put it off for as long as I could! And don't let those back pockets fool you. They're actually fake welt pockets, which was a common complaint about this pattern. I never use my back pockets anyway, so these falsies will do just fine for now.
Much as I'm nervous, I'm also excited to try something challenging. I also have my eye on some Thurlow trousers for fall, so I really hope that these pants are a positive experience that motivates me to keep going. Wish me luck!