My Blue Dotted Blouse
My blue dotted blouse, originally intended to be part of my summer work wardrobe, is finally finished and photographed! Although I have to apologize: the timer camera app that I use on my iPad is pretty low resolution, and I'm not sure if there's any way to fix that.
For a while now I've been in search of the perfect blouse pattern. One that I can make in all kinds of fabrics, adjust for the perfect fit, and customize design elements. Simplicity 2365….is not that pattern. The bust seems to flatten me out, and I think I whacked off too much length when I shortened this top from a tunic. But the biggest problem were the sleeve drafting errors. The sleeves are functional but not exactly elegant.
Here's a close up of the front tucks with the non-functional buttons attached. If you'd like to see how I did them, be sure to check out this tutorial. I hate how uneven the topstitching looks, though. My sewing machine did not play nice with this thin cotton.
I had a spare button, so I tucked it into the hem in case I ever lose one. Random buttons floating around my sewing room don't do me much good.
This is a super awkward photo, but it shows one of the construction elements of which I'm most proud. I French seamed this whole blouse, including the princess seams and sleeves! I love this tidy finish, and it should be a little sturdier for this thin fabric.
Here's how I'm wearing the blouse today. It's a little chilly here, so I went with black skinny jeans, closed-toe flats, and a white denim jacket. I also think that this top will look great tucked into a skirt, and I look forward to wearing it without an outer layer to show off the cute sleeves.
This weekend, I'm heading back to my sewing room to get some serious work done on my Fall for Cotton outfit. Wish me luck!