Welp, I’m pretty much obsessed with this coat. I unashamedly gawked at some guy’s duffle coat across Dunkin’ Donuts this weekend, and I’m this close to pulling my coworker’s coat off the rack for further examination.
My mom’s comment on my last post got me rethinking my topstitching, so I put together some samples and asked Sweetie which one he liked best (he also has a sewing background, so he actually has an opinion about these things). He chose double topstitching 1/4″ apart (done by hand, not with a twin needle), and after picking out and redoing what I had done, I totally think it was the right decision. The new topstitching looks nice and strong.
He also wanted an inside breast pocket, so I pulled out my copy of Tailoring to figure out how to make a single welt pocket. I hadn’t done one of these in a while, and I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out.
The welts are out of the black flannel I’m using as an interlining, and the pocket bag (which is just barely visible in the photo above) is the polyester lining fabric I’m using for the sleeves. I’d show you the wrong side, but it’s already encased by my interlining.
Aside from the fact that the plaid is printed on rather than woven in, we’re really happy with the flannel lining that just arrived at the end of last week. Now that it’s here, I’m starting to get things together, and last night I finished assembling the hood.
I can’t wait to get home after tonight’s class, as I should be able to start putting together the entire coat! It’s a good thing, too–Sweetie leaves for Chicago in just about one week.