Skip to content

Albion Disappointment

February 12, 2014

If you’ve been hanging around this blog lately, you know that I was trying really hard to finish Sweetie’s Albion coat before he left for a conference and job interviews in Chicago. He made his way there in the wee hours of the morning, but I’m afraid he had to wear his old Columbia jacket. I tried and tried to finish Albion in time, but at some point (in the even wee-er hours of the morning), I had to recognize that it just wasn’t going to happen. I’m really disappointed, likely much more so than he is, and he’ll definitely head back home at the end of the weekend with a new coat. Maybe we can call it a Valentine’s Day gift.

Enough wallowing. Let’s look at what I did get done, shall we?
Albion sleeve gutsAfter a successful sleeve insertion that could have gone horribly wrong because of my alterations, I did some additional work in the shoulder area that I hope leads to a better fit. My wool is on the thin end of the spectrum for a coat, so I knew that sleeve heads would be a good idea to support the fabric at the top of the sleeve. And when Sweetie tried on the muslin, it looked like shoulder pads would make the coat lay a little nicer across his back. I didn’t get a good look at the fit last night, so we’ll see when he gets back. Oh, and those shoulder pads are made by me out of some cotton batting using Margaret Islander’s pattern.
Albion zipper successThe zipper was another sticky part of this project. I knew I wanted a zipper underneath the toggles to keep out the cold, but I wasn’t happy with the way the Albion Companion method both left the zipper tape exposed and closed the coat right over left (traditionally the women’s manner of closing). Jane had struggled with the zipper herself, and she was kind enough to post a tutorial for her solution. Between the companion, the tutorial, and lots of holding things up and confirming hypotheses with my mom, I think I have something that works and looks how I want. It should look even nicer once it gets a good press and some topstitching.

Considering my frustration at not finishing this by my deadline and the fact that I’ve pushed my whole day back to make up for lost sleep last night, I may step away from the sewing machine tonight and have some “me time” in a different way. After all, I sure could use a manicure.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s