Why is my normally stoic husband smiling? Because he has a new Albion coat, of course!
…and he also made himself a shiny new axe. But I’m going to pretend it’s all about the coat. He has needed a new coat for a long time, but we had trouble finding something in stores that fit both his extra-long torso and our budget. He loved the style of this coat, and I was so happy to incorporate all the design details he wanted. The outside is pretty basic–we chose a gray wool coating from S.R. Harris when we visited home during the holidays.
The only little bit of flash is at the sleeves. He saw these buffalo buttons at the store and just had to have them. Here, you can also see a little bit of my topstitching. As I always do, I used two strands of thread and a longer stitch length to make the stitching stand out, and we decided to do two rows of stitching for a sturdy, perhaps masculine look.
I really love the toggles he picked out from Pacific Trimming. They’re a little different from the typical toggle, but they’re not too showy, which would never fly with this guy. This was the first time I shopped with this company, and it likely won’t be the last. They have great selection, reasonable prices, and fast shipping.
As any good lumberjack would, Steve chose a traditional red plaid for the lining, and I matched the plaids everywhere I could, including from the center back of the body into the hood. There wasn’t a good way to show it for these photos–we don’t have a dress form–but we used a black polyester lining for the sleeves so that he can slip the coat on and off easily. The entire coat is also interlined with a cotton flannel for warmth.
There were a few hiccups in this project, and one of them was this zipper. It took some work and some shuffling around when it came to topstitching, but I was able to enclose the zipper tape on both sides and make the coat close left over right (the traditional men’s closure). I’m so happy that this worked out in the end, as I want this coat to be nice and warm in case we return to the cold winters of the Midwest (which we’re really hoping to do)!
Another customization was an inner breast pocket. I used my copy of Tailoring to figure out how to make a welt pocket, and I’m pleased with how it turned out. I’m not quite sure what Steve plans to put in there, but he’s got it.
He seems pretty happy with the finished coat, so I’m happy too. He had had the same coat for over ten years, so it’s about time he got a new one.
If you’re interested in the construction and innards of this coat, check out my process posts.
Special thanks go out to: my mom for fielding my sewing questions over the phone, Jane for helping me tackle the zipper, Chuck for taking these great photos for us, and Colette for hosting the sewalong that pushed me to finish this coat. I’m having a great time looking at finished Albions over in the flickr group, and I can’t wait to see the rest of them roll in!