My floral version of Archer is finished! This is such a versatile garment, and I’m excited to add it to my wardrobe. I styled it casually here, with ripped up capris and bright blue sandals (which I would show you if my full length shots hadn’t made me look like a hunchback), but I wore it today with a denim pencil skirt and wedges, and it could be dressed up even further if the occasion arose.
The first Archer I made had too much fabric in the back, so this time I did a narrow back adjustment by omitting the pleat in the back piece altogether. It worked! I’ve still got a relaxed fit, which is how the shirt is designed, but I think I have just the right amount of fabric rather than way too much.
This fabric, a linen/cotton blend from JoAnn’s, loves to ravel. Since the sleeve placket on my last Archer pulled out before I had even finished the garment, I decided to use the sleeve placket from Colette’s Negroni shirt pattern this time (something similar can be found in David Coffin’s Shirtmaking, which my local library has available). Aside from a shirt muslin for Sweetie a while back, this was my first attempt at this kind of placket, and I think it went really well.
Of course, you can’t see my turquoise topstitching because of this busy print, but it’s there and looks pretty tidy. Speaking of that topstitching, my sewing machine decided that it 1) didn’t feel like sewing with two threads to make it pop and 2) wasn’t going to topstich nicely on the breast pocket, so some of my design decisions were made for me. Luckily, the aforementioned busy print means that neither decision had a big impact on the finished shirt.
I’m constantly saying that I’ll make additional versions of patterns to improve upon them, and I’m glad that I actually did this time. I don’t have any more Archers planned for the near future, but I’m sure I’ll break out this pattern again.