Shirtmaking Project Update
The shirtmaking project continues! Now that I’ve finished my floral top, I’m turning my attention to some buttondowns for Sweetie. I’ve wanted to make some buttondowns for my broadshouldered, thin, and extra tall husband since I got back into sewing. I picked up some supplies to replace one of his well-loved and worn shirts a few holiday seasons ago, and I made up a muslin of Vogue 8759, which was an epic failure, around this time last summer.
I then worked up a muslin of Negroni, which is close but still needs some alterations as well as adjustments to take it from a camp collar to a standard collar. After spending some time earlier this week taking another look at both muslins as well as the draping method that Coffin outlines in Shirtmaking, we’ve decided to try another Negroni muslin, this time made a full size up all around in hopes of getting a better fit through the shoulders and armscyes.
In addition to the pattern, book, and some online resources, I’m armed with some of Sweetie’s favorite RTW shirts, so we’ll play around with design elements to get things just right. I’ll be using some of the techniques I tried out on my floral top as well as some new-to-me ways of getting professional looking flat-felled seams, sleeve plackets, and pockets. Here’s hoping the third muslin’s a charm!