UFO Mondays: Lady Grey update, or, We Have Thin Lips in This Family
I have the teeny tiniest update on my Lady Grey coat today.
By the time I felt like working on this coat, there was no way I was going to finish it in time to wear this year. It’s starting to warm up around here (though not this weekend!), and I have my eye on some warm weather sewing to spruce up my wardrobe before I dig into the tailoring. However, with my recent trip home I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to work through the bound buttonholes on this coat with my Make It With Wool Contest national champion sash-wearing mother.
I didn’t think this would be too difficult of a task, but the very first step, marking the buttonhole placement, proved quite the challenge. The image above is my front pattern piece, and the vertical dashed line is my seamline. As you can see, it cuts off 1/4-3/8″ of the buttonhole, which is miraculously drafted to be in the exact same spot for every size. Had I not already purchased a gorgeous wool that I love and cut out the entire coat, I would have stepped away from this project right then: I’ve been burned by Colette too many times. Luckily, Mom was there to pull me off the ledge and re-mark the buttonhole. It begins at the end of the original buttonhole placement.
From there, things were fiddly but went fairly smoothly. We always use the bound buttonhole method outlined in The Bishop Method of Clothing Construction, and I can’t recommend it highly enough. I’ve seen a lot of handmade bound buttonholes with bulky, thick lips that aren’t very attractive. This method gives us beautiful results with thin lips every time.
Now that this first step is finished, I’m ready to tackle this coat just as soon as I finish up my birthday outfit.