Skip to content

Grainline Morris Blazer in Basic Black

July 25, 2015

Red Knits_Morris BlazerFor the past two years, I’ve had a Tuesday/Thursday teaching schedule, which means I’ve only had to dress up to teach two days a week. This fall, I’m in for a big change: I’ll be on campus five days a week for the first time since my first semester of my doctorate, and I’ll be in the classroom every day. It’s not quite the schedule I was imagining for my fourth year and the beginning of writing my dissertation, but I’m looking forward to teaching a new class, TAing a survey course, and having a better chance of making it to the group fitness classes on campus.

More time in the classroom also means more of a workout for my professional wardrobe, so I am really happy to have finished my Grainline Morris blazer in a very wearable and versatile black rayon stretch twill. Red Knits_Morris BlazerI have become such a muslin convert in recent years, and whipping up a muslin for this pattern really drove home how inappropriate boxy styles are for my figure. After starting with a size 6, I added some dramatic curves to the side seams and center back seam to account for my hourglass figure, and the shape suits me so much better now. I do have some tightness across my shoulders–an area I did not alter–when I reach up, though. I noticed this in the muslin and thought the stretch of my fashion fabric would make up for it, but unfortunately it didn’t this time.
Red Knits_Morris BlazerThere have been some complaints about the fronts of this pattern drooping, and I wish I had followed the advice in the sewalong to fuse interfacing to the front pieces in order to prevent that drooping. By the time I found that piece of advice, it was too late to add the interfacing, and I thought that I would be all right since I used a stretch woven rather than a knit. It’s not clear in these photos (sorry…it’s black fabric…), but I do have some puckering at the bottom of the fronts that could have been avoided. Next time. Red Knits_Morris BlazerSince this blazer is unlined, I decided to have a bit of fun and bind the seam allowances. My technique–if you can call it that–is somewhere between a Hong Kong finish and a bias bound finish because I edgestitched down my binding rather than stitching in the ditch. This was my first attempt at binding seam allowances, so I went for an easy quilting cotton with polka dots. I bought a 1/2 yard for the binding and used just about all of it. This touch slowed me down, but I love how sharp the insides look!
Red Knits_Morris BlazerToday, I wore my Morris with a me-made striped dress and wedge sandals. This is sure to be one of the most versatile garments in my wardrobe. I look forward to tossing it on over just about anything, and maybe making a few more.

Advertisements
2 Comments leave one →
  1. Kathleen permalink
    August 26, 2015 6:49 pm

    I think it would look really cool having the finishing on the outside as a trim instead of just being plain black. A really nice job –

  2. October 1, 2015 3:28 pm

    True, it is boxy! I Love the white binding! and a black blazer is something you can wear with anything. I made the Morris Blazer in olive green with leather sleeves and I’m planning to sew a black blazer soon, but I want to try a different pattern.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s